Where Do Singer Songwriters Find Ideas…
When Ideas Don’t Just Show up?
I’m sure you’ve heard, seen, and read the stories of the almost endless parade of tortured artists, singer songwriters, and writers whose lives “ended much too soon”. They were always searching for answers…trying to find ideas and inspiration.
No, I’m not ready to call it quits, cut off my ear, or become a hermit who lives off peanut butter and grub worms. But I do understand how frustrating it can be when “the muse” doesn’t show up for coffee…for days…weeks…or longer.
“Frustrating” may be putting it mildly. But I’ve come up with some tricks to stimulate the right brain and maybe even make “the muse” jealous. I’ll list 5, and if you have some ideas, I’d love to add yours to the list.
- Look at an ordinary object with the extraordinary imaginary skill of a child…turn a rock into a horse and see where it takes you.
- Change the color of something and make it a color it couldn’t possibly be in the real world.
- Whatever emotion you’re feeling on a particular day…make yourself write in the opposite emotion.
- Find a story that happened to someone far back in your family’s history and see if you can modernize it.
- Stroll through a local art gallery with a caffeinated beverage and write about the piece that delighted you.
OK…there’s 5. I have lots more, but I’d love to read what you come up with. Leave me a comment, and…